October 2, 2011

How We Got to Know Mr. Huang

Huang Jianxin 黄建新 has been our driver in China ever since we arrived in Wuhan.  Mr. Huang -- as we call him -- is about 40 years old, he has a son that is high school aged, and has had many differnt jobs as a driver including driving taxis, trucks, and wedding cars.


The story of choosing Mr. Huang is funny.... He had been driving for us for just under a week and was the third driver we had in those first 10 days or so.  The company secretary, Wendy, had never been clear with us about getting a permanent driver.  Out of the blue one day, she told me it was time to interview drivers.  We went downstairs and sat down with Mr. Huang first.  I wasn't sure what to ask, so Wendy suggested I ask if he has a family.  Family men are safer and much more reliable she said.  Then we hopped in the car for a 10-15 minute driving test which felt pretty silly since he had been driving my family around the past five days or so.

There was one other guy to interview.  I thought to myself, "What is the purpose of this?  How can me asking questions through Wendy and going on a 15 minute drive differentiate these two men?"  I was sure I would pick Mr. Huang just because he had been driving us already.  We got in the car with the second guy.  First, he smelled bad.  Then he took off out of the parking lot like a bat out of hell.  He didn't wear a seat belt.  When Wendy told him to put the seat belt on, he looked around for it like he had no idea where a seat belt would be located.  While he looked for the belt, the car was swerving all over the road.  Let's just say the decision was easy.

Mr. Huang has been very good to us and we hope he will continue to drive us for a long time.  I thought you might enjoy a small taste of drving around in Wuhan.  On Mon, Wed, and Fri, Mr. Huang picks us all up at 7:40.  He drops off Chessie and the kids at school, then we head to Cummins.  I recorded our Monday morning drive.  (It's in two parts.)  It gives you a taste of what our mornings are like and some geography of our community.






> Clayton

No comments:

Post a Comment